Captain John Terry insists he is ‘100 per cent fit’ and ready for Chelsea’s FA Cup Final against Portsmouth on Saturday despite a foot injury scare.
Terry was reported to be set to miss the Wembley showpiece and also England’s World Cup campaign after a training-ground accident on Wednesday afternoon left him wearing a protective cast.
However, suggestions that the former England captain could miss the tournament in South Africa with a possible broken metatarsal bone were swiftly allayed following hospital scans.
Terry will now definitely lead the sportsbook favourite Blues out against Portsmouth as they go in search of a first ever league and cup double.
Can Portsmouth cause a massive FA Cup Final upset on Saturday? – Latest Football Betting
Elsewhere, Roy Hodgson insists he is happy at Fulham and not thinking about leaving Craven Cottage despite a disappointing end to their season.
The Cottagers lost their first ever European final 2-1 in extra-time in Hamburg and afterwards the talk turned to the future of the English manager.
But despite increasingly speculation linking 62-year-old with any potential vacancy at Liverpool or a possible England manager’s role after the World Cup, Hodgson insists he is happy at Fulham and not thinking about leaving.
“I have never given my future a moment’s thought,” he said. “I have been committed all the time I have been with the club.
“I still have a contract and, as far as I know, this is where I shall be.”
Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov has called time on his international career.
The Bulgaria captain, who won 74 international caps over the last 11 years and became his country’s all-time leading scorer in November 2009, has retired with immediate effect.
It is believed that Berbatov has become disillusioned with criticism of the national team following a disappointing World Cup qualifying campaign which resulted in them missing out on the finals in South Africa.
In golf, Tiger Woods has revealed he does not know when he will return to action after scans on a neck problem revealed an inflamed joint.
The embattled world number one pulled out of last week’s Players Championship during the final round citing unbearable neck pain.
Woods was playing his third event since returning to action following a five-month absence caused by much-publicised problems in his personal life.
But despite the US Open now being just five weeks away, Woods has admitted he does not know when he will be able to return to action.
The 33-year-old has been told to manage the neck problem with physio therapy, anti-inflammatory drugs and massages.
“I want to thank everyone for their caring and concern,” he said. “I now need to take care of this condition and will return to playing golf when I’m physically able.”